Your Toyota Guy
Your Toyota Guy, Certified Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  I have been/am a Toyota technician for 15yrs+.
75929629

Issue with blower motor.

Customer Question

Issue with blower motor.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blower motor in my 2011 Toyota Venza stopped working. Does not work with heat or a/c.Unplugged blower motor plug and tested 12V and ground wires. Both are good. Had constant 13.0 volts at the blower motor plug with the blower motor commanded off and in all speeds. There is a 3rd very much smaller red wire also in that plug and never had any voltage to that wire at any time at any speed with blower motor on or off. Unsure what this wire does.Is there a way for me to test the blower motor itself? Can I jump a power wire to the third, small red wire?Do I need to be looking at the blower motor resistor? If so where is it located and what does it look like? Are there resistance checks for this?
Expert:  Your Toyota Guy replied 1 year ago.

No do not jump power to that wire, it is a signal wire. The resistor is built in to the circuitry of the blower it self. The blower motor will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do I have constant battery voltage at the blower even when the blower is commanded off?

The climate control head sends a signal to the blower motor commanding it to come on from the blower's built in circuitry. The feed power and ground are indeed constant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can we be certain it's the blower motor unit and NOT the climate control head?

If you have a fast enough meter you can check the signal wire for voltage, you should not see full 12 volts but you will see varying activity.

If I can be of no more help please do take a second to rate my service.