Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1997 Toyota Rav 4, 2WD, 4 door. I have had what I

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Toyota Rav 4, 2WD, 4 door.
I have had what I assume to be an electrical issue the last 2 days.
Yesterday driving home it stalled as I was coming off of the expresway. No power at all, put in N to try and restart nothing. pulled to the side, put into park and the radio came back on and it started. That was when I realized it lost all power, engine and battery and saw the clock was reset to 12:00.
Got it home , changed clothes and tried to troubleshoot. It was not stating n the driveway. No turnover it would appear to be ready as I tuned the key and s I got it all the way around to crank the engine, click and no power (I mean no lights radio nothing, like the battery was disconnected) jiggled some wires around and tried this over and over for 20+ minutes, sometime I would open the door and sit in the drivers seat and the power would go away, soemtimes when I ust put the key into the igniton it would cut power. Then it decided to start and did fine 3-4 times last night. This morning all was well drove it to work, drove it to grab lunch, when I went to go back after lunch, same thing, messed around in the parking lot for 20 or so minutes before it started fine,. Was fine leaving work. I want to figure out if there is a relay , fuse or controller that could cause this, or I assume it is a ground loosing all power, but the ground off the battery is clean and solid in the engine compatment. I am willing to test and troubleshoot any ideas you can throw at me and get you a quick reply as to what I find
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome ot Just Answer. Pleas allow me to assist you. This sounds like you have a battery or battery power condition. Since your clock reset to 12:00, thsi means that the dashboard lost all power. That rules out anything with the key side of the electrical system. When you have an intermittent issue like this, we usually would expect tot find one (or a combination of ) the following:

Loose plate/bad internal contact inside the battery

Loose battery post (positive or negative

Corrosion at the battery posts where the terminals connect

Corrosion inside the wire fo the battery cables (under the nylon insulation jacket)

Poor connection of the negative battery cable to the body metal

Poor connection at the fuse panel where the Positive battery wire attaches.

More often than not, either the battery, the terminals/posts, cables and battery ground connection is the most common.

The first thing I would do is see if the battery terminal ends are loose. Then check for corrosion on the posts themselves. If all that looks good, check the negative cable connection at the body ground point. If all this looks good, and the posts are nto physically loose on the battery, you may need a battery.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check this, but even if the battery was out like this, it does not explain the 1st stall that lost all power as the alerternator would have been suppliing power, correct ?

If the system loses power below 10.5 volts the car will stall out. if the alternator has an output voltage issue the battery light would have come on at the instrument cluster

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loose plate/bad internal contact inside the battery - Have no way of testing this that I am aware ofLoose battery post (positive or negative - All are secure and solidCorrosion at the battery posts where the terminals connect all are clean and coated with corrosive resistant sparayCorrosion inside the wire fo the battery cables (under the nylon insulation jacket) - This was not checkPoor connection of the negative battery cable to the body metal This is clean and securePoor connection at the fuse panel where the Positive battery wire attaches. - On the + side, cable this was all secure and solid12.5 V accross terminalsGoing to be going to drive my son to a practice now, will watch what happens.

ok let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the terminal posts have metal caps like thimbles. It looks like it was probably for a shim or to make a tighter fit.Does this seem like a possible area of concern ?

Indeed it does. The terminals need to be tight throughout the entire circumference of the posts