sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a customer with a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2,4 with a p0340

Customer Question

I have a customer with a 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2,4 with a p0340 code , replaced distributor & crank position sensor,still has a p0340 code ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the issue is still in the distributor depending on where parts came from. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors often cause repeat issues, if the distributor was aftermarket it's possible that the sensor still isn't working.

The problem may also be wiring or cam timing. If cam timing is incorrect or the chain has broken then it can set a cam sensor code.

Does the engine start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it runs , clear code P0340 , start engine and check engine comes on in 15 sec. and intermittent runs ruff ,misfire no power .

Did the problem start after any work was done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No work done before

Was testing done to confirm there was an issue with the cam sensor or was it just replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cam position sensor is the distributor , no testing was done . the customer replaced both dist. & crank pos.sensor

I know that the cam sensor is in the distributor and that the distributor was replaced.

You're a shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i `m a Shop, I have AllData. Camshaft to crankshaft misalignment ? jumped a tooth?

Yes, improper cam timing as I mentioned earlier will definitely set a P0340.

Has the signal been labscoped at the ECM connector?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don`t have a lab scope, any other way to check it ??

There isn't a way to check the sensor's signal without a labscope. You can test the sensor's wiring which should definitely be done and do a basic functional check of the sensor using a digital voltmeter to see if the signal voltage toggles when turning the engine by hand, but a labscope is needed to check a cam or crank sensor properly. The issue we usually see with aftermarket sensors is the shape of the wave which a labscope is needed to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a broken wire in harness close to distributor, cleared code , that took care of that problem with the P0340