Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a '97 prism with a Toyota engine. Inadvertently the

Customer Question

I have a '97 prism with a Toyota engine. Inadvertently the engine will idle real high for a few minutes and then return to normal which is not due to the cooling fan going on. A mechanic told me it was due to the igniter. What due you think? If it reves high and I shut it off, it takes many cranks to get it started again.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prizm.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes stored in the computer?

Have you made any repairs in order to try and fix this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is NOT on.
Don't know about codes.
Just had a tune up and replaced distributor cap and rotor.

Did this "idle real high" concern happen before or after the tune up and Distributer/rotor were replaced?

Did you install OEM parts or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happened before and after. If it didn't I wouldn't be texting you now. OEM parts installed.

If it didn't I wouldn't be texting you now.

Sure, just checking and making sure that we get a full picture without missing anything.

The problem could very well be the igniter but we usually see a code stored or the check engine light on. The other item you will want to check, is the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, this is what helps start the car and idles the engine up/down. It is located on the bottom of the throttle body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was the IAC, wouldn"t the idle be high all the time?

Not necessarily especially if it was sticking or intermittent. Please remember that it is computer controlled and is supposed to reset its position every time the vehicle is started. This can cause it to act weird sometimes. A good cleaning is all that is needed to rule it out but wanted you to know this could be a potential cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I clean it? By using carburater cleaner?

Yes. Carb cleaner and a tooth brush will clean the throttle body then just spray a little extra in and let it soak for about 10 minutes before starting the Prizm. If the issue still remains then replace the igniter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Genchi

My pleasure and please rate my help knowing that I strive to give Excellent Service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will rate after the problem is resolved and what Genchi said is correct.

Thank you.