cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

I have a 1982 Toyota 4x4 that starts but does of after 5

Customer Question

I have a 1982 Toyota 4x4 that starts but does of after 5 seconds or so. Prior to this, it would idle but giving the engine gas would stall it out. It is 22r motor
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
You dont mention if you have checked the fuel pressure or checked for leaking fuel pressure regulator. Both of these need to be done at this point. Weak fuel pressure or leaking regulator will cause this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet. I assumed it wasn't a big deal because it is the carbed engine and the fuel pump was functioning. How do I test the fuel pressure?
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I noticed your question has not been answered in quite some time, I can be of assistance, to check the fuel pressure on your Toyota you will need a fuel pressure gauge and adapters to go in a line of the fuel lines between the fuel pump and the carburetor. Fuel pressure on a carbureted engine is usually around 6 pounds per square inch. Most likely from the symptoms you have mentioned your fuel pump is failed.

Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after you have given your rating until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not gotten a chance to check the fuel pressure yet, because a new symptom has revealed itself. The exhaust is now full of steam (steam not smoke because it rises quickly and dissipates). I know this is commonly a symptom of a blown head gasket, but there are no other symptoms like no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil, fluid levels are holding steady, and I don't see in bubbles in the radiator. It's also odd that I would have blown the head gasket while not driving the truck. The truck did sit unused for a good bit of time. Is it possible the all my symptoms are caused by water in my gas? The steaming started occurring just as a started to run my tank empty

It is more likely an intake manifold gasket breach, that is causing your issues, also some amount of steam is normal in the exhaust as long as it is not excessive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely an excessive amount. Huge billowing clouds of it coming from the exhaust.

Test cooling system pressure if more than pressure on radiator cap then it is head or head gasket, if less then it is the intake manifold gasket leaking.

Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not PLEASE ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.