Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My 2008 Prius sounds very loud while driving anywhere above

Customer Question

Hi- my 2008 Prius sounds very loud while driving anywhere above 30 mph. Sounds like the sound when you accidentally move into low gear or on a standard when you need to shift.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius.

Have you taken a ride with a Master Mechanic yet? (We never charge for this)

Does the sound get louder as you go faster?

Does the sound speed up as you go faster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response - I haven't taken a ride with a master technician. I'm not sure how to go about doing that. The sound is not happening in my very low speed quiet Prius mode, but other than that, doesn't seem to depend on speed (or if it does, it's not much). I noticed if I'm hearing the noise and reach a hill to coast down (no gas pedal), it still makes the sound.
I hope that helps.

This does help a bit. As for taking a ride with a Master Tech, all you have to do is ask. We are friendly and won't bite. :)

Really though, it does help us so that we can be on the same page with the Owner as to what the noise is and how we can get the vehicle to duplicate the noise in question. There have been too many times when a vehicle is dropped off with a noise complaint and I cant hear the noise the customer is concerned about. Then when they come pick up the vehicle, we offer to take a ride with them and that's when we hear it. Then they would have to leave it another day.

From the way you describe this condition, it sounds like it may be a wheel bearing starting to make some noise and not something more serious. I wish I was there to ride with you and see.

Has the Prius ever been in a wreck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Prius has been in a wreck. I didn't think about it, but this noise did not happen before the wreck (started months after the wreck, though).My mom says I'm wrong about the sound and that it does get louder the faster I get. It's a steady sound, so the sound doesn't get faster.
Do I just google master technicians in my area or is there a specific list somewhere?

Do you have a Toyota Dealer nearby?

You can also use this website. It is a Professional Repair website that you can search for Professional Repair shops in your area. These will be some of the best Independent Repair shops in your area.

Does this help us?