Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2008 Toyota RAV4 was in accident. It was drive-able few days

Customer Question

2008 Toyota RAV4 was in accident. It was drive-able for a few days then battery died. After body work completed, picked up car and drove about 1 hour and car died. Many warning lights were on. Replaced battery, but problem happened again. After driving 45-60 minutes. Should I replace the alternator or look for other issue?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would recommend that you replace the alternator. It sounds like there is insufficient alternator output to properly charge the battery and also run the electronics of the car. The car is designed to shut off whenever the electrical system has less than 10.5 volts DC in it. The condition you describe is the alternator is not powering the system and the battery is providing most ofg the needed electrical current. When the battery discharges below 10.5 volts, the car shuts off. I would recommend you replace the alternator.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer