Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1992 Toyota Previa - The gear shift indicator is not aligned

Customer Question

1992 Toyota Previa - The gear shift indicator is not aligned with what gear the van is in, and when I am in reverse, the reverse lights don't go on. If i move the gear shifter a little towards park I can get the reverse lights to go on, but not while I'm in reverse. The van drives/shifts fine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What you need to do is adjust the neutral safety switch is located on the side of the transmission there are 2-10 mm bolts that hold the neutral safety switch in position. Loosen the 10 mm bolts up and there is enough play to rotate the neutral safety switch slightly and when you have it in Park make sure the park light comes on adjusted accordingly. If you block the wheels and put the shifter in reverse slowly rotate the neutral safety switch one way or the other until the reverse light comes on and the R indicator comes on. It is fairly common to get corrosion in that neutral safety switch if you cannot get it adjusted or the light keeps flickering back-and-forth the contacts are bad inside the switch and the neutral safety switch will have to be replaced. Just follow the shifter linkage and the wiring harness going to it and you will locate it.