Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Sienna 2005. Right side brake light does not work. Went to

Customer Question

Sienna 2005. Right side brake light does not work. Went to replace bulb. It glowed for just a second then went out. Now neither side brake lights work and the shifter won't go into drive. I did bypass the brake pedal and got it to shift into drive.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What has probably happened here is the replacement bulb has caused a short circuit in the brake light circuit. Thsi caused the brake light fuse to blow. When the brake light fuse is blown, you have no power to the brake lights, and, you Also have no power to he shift interlock solenoid. This is what is causing you to use the bypass. Look in the fuse panel under the dash on the driver side for a blown fuse, it will be a 10 or a 15 amp fuse. I would remove the bulb you installed before replacing the fuse. Also inspect the socket for anything that could have caused the short circuit. Then replace the fuse