Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

The front wheel hubs get extremely hot after a short run

Customer Question

The front wheel hubs get extremely hot after a short run around town. The back wheel hubs are just at ambient temperature, no heat from breaking at all. I've had the break fluid replaced, but no change. Is there a separate valve that routes the break fluid to the rear breaks? It's a 2006 sienna.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if this vehicle has rear disc brakes or rear drum brakes so I can assist you better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rear drum breaks

Please go out to the vehicle. Start it up. Set the park brake. Put the car in drive. Give it a little gas. Advise if the car moves forward. This is assuming you have a safe and clear area to do this test. Then advise if the car moves forward easily. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested it in forward, then in reverse. It did not move at all.

If the vehicle moved, I would say that the rear brakes were out of adjustment. Since it does not move, that leads me to believe that you probably have seized rear wheel cylinders at the rear brakes. If the front brakes are getting hot, they are doing all of the work. The rear brakes are not assisting with stopping the car. A easytest would be to raise one wheel at the rear off of the ground and spin the wheel. Have a helper press the brake pedal gently. See how far down the pedal needs to go to stop the wheel from spinning. If the brake pedal does not stop the spin, I recommend the rear wheel cylinders be inspected for brake fluid pressure and operation. If there is no pressure, you either have a restriction (rare) or a faulty master cylinder.