Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness
7183013

My 2005 Toyota ghlander has had three dashboard lights come

Customer Question

My 2005 Toyota Highlander has had three dashboard lights come on recently and stay on for a day or more before going off. The lights are VSC, TRAC OFF, and CHECK. They appear in a cluster to the left of the instrument panel. It seems to me that the thing that has triggered the lights is a little slip by my tires on a hilly gravel road. It has not occurred before two weeks ago and has now happened twice. A local garage said that no computer code was generated which explains the reason. I have pressed the TRAC button below and slightly right of my steering wheel with no result. Is this something potentially serious? Is it safe to drive the car a considerable distance of normal highway driving? Is it something that I should see a dealer about?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

There is likely a code set in there that your garage is not able to read with their equipment. The lights mean the traction control system has seen a fault and logged a code in the computer. But many shops do not have a scanner capable of accessing that computer. It is not really dangerous to drive it, when the lights are on it means the systems are shut down so the truck will act like an older car without those safety features. You will either need to see a dealer or a well equipped independent shop and they can pull the code(s) which will point to the failed part, there are so many options on a 10 year old vehicle that any guessing would not be smart or cost effective.