scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

2008 Tundra Immobilizer Problem

Customer Question

2008 Tundra Immobilizer Problem
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

What problem are you experiencing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, After replacing the radio in order to add a backup camera I began having erratic issues with the immobilizer. It works intermittently but also randomly fails to activate (light doesn't come one when door is opened and light doesn't come on when key is removed). Additionally, it will randomly shut the engine down after start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Was the steering column cover removed at all for this install?

When you say it shuts the engine down after starting , you mean immediately after starting, not minutes later correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not remove the steering column. The shut down comes almost instantly after startup.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

And have you tried different keys to see if the shut down still occurs( if you have spare key)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and it does the same thing with all 3 keys.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

What parts were removed to install this?(kick panels, rocker board plastic, glove box, center console???)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just the center of the dash to access the radio. Although I did use a test light on the passenger kick panel while looking for a reverse wire. I did not find it there though and proceeded to find one in H83. The rest looks intact, however as stated I tied into H83 behind the radio. I see that the immobilizer utilizes H83.

Since it is acting erratically is there a method reset it?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Did you use a test light on connector AJ5 on pass kick panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, only the bot***** ***** one. None that high.

Looking at H83, I believe I have a clear idea of what I did. When I found the reverse wire, I removed it from the junction, spliced in the sensor wire, and then put it back in the wrong spot. There were two open spots in the junction and I inadvertently placed it on the ground side. I didn't think there was any consequence at the time, but now that i've taken it apart I see that half is a common ground and I put 12v into those grounds. At the time I simply blew an ignition fuse when I put it in reverse. I'm guessing putting 12v into the back side of the immobilizer ecu is not a good thing. Do you think it's fried?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

I don't think so, it would just reek havoc on any signal coming out or revived. Have you gotten a chance to put it back to the right pin location.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to resolve this issue, do you require further assistance?