cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

I have a 97 toyota camry i put a new thermostat and its

Customer Question

i have a 97 toyota camry i put a new thermostat and its still overheating tje cooling fans do go on....ive been trying to bleed it with water....my brother put a radiator from the junkyard/..it doesnt get any heat and seems like thermostat wont open ..what coyld be wrong
Category: Toyota
Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

To get this accurate from the beginning, you have installed a used radiator, and a new thermostat from a parts store,correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, do you have access to a scanner that can monitor temperature? and a temperature gun you can check temperature on the radiator in several places? When using used parts the first step is to verify that they are good parts that function normally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did have a scanner hooked up it did go up to 260 f when it over heated ..but the funny thing is the fans do work...i dont get any heat ...also everything goes back to the resevoir i can hear it boiling and all the water coming out of there just boiling hot

ok, at this point you need to measure pressure in the cooling system after vehicle is cooled down, attach cooling system pressure guage to the radiator, and look on the radiator cap it will tell you normal cooling system pressure if after running engine long enough to get to normal operating temperature (226f is what triggers the cooling fans) with a/c off, if the pressure exceeds what is stamped on the radiator cap (16 PSI max) and you are sure your thermostat has opened by watching the temperature rise above 226f ,triggering fans , and immediately dropping temperature to 195f on the scanner. Then most likely the head gasket is leaking or the engine head has a crack in it.

Please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me another question, i will continue to answer your questions even after you have rated my service until you are completely satisfied with my answers.