Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have an 03 sequoia that has a very subtle pop in the

Customer Question

I have an 03 sequoia that has a very subtle pop in the steering wheel when turning at low speeds. its not a grind but more of a tiny click I can feel and barely hear. It feels like something loose in the steering wheel itself, but I'm not sure.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There is a movable part wight under the steering wheel, at the end of the steering column. This is the spiral cable, or 'clockspring'. This is a ribbon cable that winds/unwinds (like a spring) as the steering wheel is turned. This cable connects the steering column wire harness to the controls on the steering wheeel, the air bag and the horn. As they age, they tens to become a bit more noisy. The other thing that could cause a pop noise is the connection between the steering column and the steering gear in the engine compartment. If this unit is rusted, it will not flex properly, and will emit an audible noise. This you can spray with WD40; the joint is right at the eend of the steering column shaft. The other unit cannot be disassembled; it is replace only.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer