Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. Installed new seats. Q: Can I

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. Installed new seats. Q: Can I bypass the passenger occupancy airbag seat sensor so that it is on all the time? I believe the airbag would be functional.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The recommended answer is no. You cannot bypass the passenger side seat occupation sensor. The air bag system uses three distinctive weight measurements to deploy the passenger side air bag in one of three stages, depending on the amount of weight in the seat. IE a light weight reading (like a child) would get a different air bag deployment as opposed to a 175 lb grown man. Now...if you were to 'trick' the sensor into thinking that there was a 175 lb person sitting in the seat, you might be able to pull off what you are intending to do. However, that is NOT recommended.

I need to state the following so you are aware of the ramifications of such a modification: If something happened (an accident) and your passenger was injured because of the air bag deployment, you can and will be held liable for this, as you knowingly and willingly altered the ability of the air bag to deploy properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you recommend. I have the sensors and the harness. They are not currently attached to the new seats. What alternative can I pursue.

I would recommend you wire up the sensor properly and have the occupancy classification sensor calibrated at your local Toyota dealer service department