Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Can the elec.water pump on 2011 prius stop ac comp. from

Customer Question

can the elec.water pump on 2011 prius stop ac comp. from coming on ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

According to the schematic/fault tree from Toyota, it looks like the AC will not operate if the engine is above the target coolant temp. In other words, if the vehicle is running hotter than it should because the electric water pump is not working correctly, the AC will not operate to avoid overheating the engine even more.

Are you having problems with the electric water pump?

Have you had the AC system checked to see if there is low refrigerant pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car is not running hot,i cant check Freon until comp. starts.water pump seems to be making a terrible noise
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I've heard really noisy coolant pumps in the prius when the coolant level is low. The pump has a hard time processing through air pockets and it whines like crazy. How does the coolant level look?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You could test the ac compressor by jumping the pressure switch. I attached a picture of its location. If you jump the connectors with a paperclip you can signal the system that there is enough Freon to run the compressor. Don't do it for very long, because if there isn't sufficient Freon it will damage the compressor since Freon acts as a lubricant for the compressor.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check up and see if you needed any additional help. I hope I have been of some assistance to you and would appreciate a positive rating if I have.

Thanks!