Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a serious problem with my 1996 tacoma. Can you help

Customer Question

hello, i have a serious problem with my 1996 tacoma. Can you help me?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me more details? Any history on the truck leading up to the problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own a 1996 base model tacoma 2.4 liters, 2RZ-FE motor automatic transmission 2WD.so own the truck for at least a 4 months now, and weird behavior it has when the check engine turns on as if the transmission drops a gear or turns off over drive. so for a while I'll be stuck in gear at high rev when I'm in the high way. sometimes the Check engine light goes off and it shift up again. Also once a while the truck feels sluggish from 15mph - 40mph. At a red light sometimes the truck even stalls.I bought a brand new OEM distributor, new spark plugs, cleaned out the IAC and the throttle body, new air filter.the check engine said its the crank position sensor.any ideas, thanks
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the current specific code numbers set in the computer? When you clear them do the same codes come back right away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thing is, it doesn't come back right away. Once I rest the computer it will come back randomly. I can go a week with out the check engine light or every day. but I'm pretty sure the codes will come back as the same number, because i checked twice in a single week.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the Specific code numbers that are consistently setting?