Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 1998 Toyota RAV4. After 10-20 minutes of driving I

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Toyota RAV4. After 10-20 minutes of driving I noticed the temp gauge was at the middle. The highest it ever gets is right before the middle. So I noticed it at the middle. Then it slowly climbed a little bit more. I turned on the heater to
relieve the engine and that brought the needle back to normal. I drove it a few times again and it was the same. I replaced the fan relay (the big green one) and also #2 fan relay. Both did not help. Also after my car sat for a couple hours I started it and
the radiator fans were off. Then I turned on the ac and both fans turned on. Also, if I drive in my car with the a/c on, the same happens as described above as the needle goes up and stays at above the middle and then I proceed to turn the heat on and roll
all the windows down, and the needle goes back to normal.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Hello, very sorry for the delay. I strongly suspect the thermostat needs replaced. It sounds like the fans are operating correctly if they come on as soon as you turn the AC on, and also are on when the engine gets hot. I really think all it needs is a new thermostat.

LJ