Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2001 Camry with 120000. The other day while driving

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Camry with 120000. The other day while driving I noticed a rumbling sound seem to be coming from the drivers side when I hit a certain speed. My passenger thought she noticed a burnt ordor. Took it to my mechanic and he said it might be a drive train or transmission problem. We got estimates of 1500 for fixing drivetrain to upwards of 3500 for complete transmission replacement ! My question is can they determine exactly if it's just the drive train and if it's not the problem to stop there and not do any repair?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A rumble on the driver side of the engine compartment is usually one of two things (assuming the tires are OK)...Either the wheel hub/bearing assembly is bad, or, the differential section of the transaxle is bad. Either one will make a distinct rumble noise. If you were to check the fluid on the transmission dipstick, that would tell quite a lot...It should be clear pink. Not brown ore black. It should not have a burnt odor to it. The easiest way to check this is to remove the dipstick and wipe it immediately on a white paper towel. If the fluid is dark colored, smells burnt and you see real small metal particles, you probably need some transmission repair or replacement. A wheel bearing needs to be diagnosed while the vehicle is on a lift. Additional diagnosis can then be performed to the drive train while the vehicle is still on the lift. It should be noted that any noise that is coming form the output/differential section of the transaxle would be cause to stop driving it until rectified.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input today, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer