Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2001 Avalon with about 140k. I have loaded it

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Avalon with about 140k. I have loaded it possibly overloaded and I have the rattle in the rear when I hit small bumps - other than that it has been a really sweet car but the rattles irrate me more. In bloogs it looks like this has happened before..any ideas for me? Thanks Paul
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place...
WHen you are getting a rattle over small bumps, this is most commonly due to work stabiliser bar links and/or bushings. There is a fairly quick test for this. Remove the sway links and carefully take the vehicle for a short test drive. If the noise is now gone, I usually recommond than both the links and the bar bushings be replaced at the same time. Doing one and not the other will put strain on the old parts and the noise usually returns farily quickly. If the noise is still present on the test drive, then the control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings and strut mounts will need to be looked into. In ((THIS IMAGE)) stabiliaer links are #15, stabiliser bar bushings are #14, control arm bushings are #9, trailing arm is #10 and th strut mount is #12. Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Please allow mr to assist on this request. I tend to agree with my colleague on his assessment of the situation, however, I would like to add a piece of information that would be worth consideration. On the rear if this car you have struts. On top of each strut is a metal plate that centers the top stem of the strut, and provides a means of bolting the strut to the inner metalwork of the rear of the car. Inside of this plate is a rubber bushing that is designed to isolate the movement of the strut as you traverse bumps. Over time, the bushing wears out, and/or loses resiliency. In the shop, we change these plates quite often for this very problem....rattles over bumps. The plates run about 105 dollars each, and require the rear struts to be removed and disassembled in order to replace them. Figure an hour to 1.5 hours per strut labor to replace the plates. The technical term is "strut bearing support plate", we call them 'strut caps'. A good Toyota tech can determine if this is the issue by a short road test on a bumpy road. We are very familiar with this particular noise, as it is a common complaint on the Camry/Avalon product as they age. If your strut caps are original, I would certainly think that it is way past time they were replaced. I hope this helps you out If you have any questions, please feel free to get back to either of us. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.