Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I'm not getting power to my fuel pump 1989 toytoa 4x4 pick

Customer Question

I'm not getting power to my fuel pump 1989 toytoa 4x4 pick up
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ

The air flow meter and the circuit opening relay control the operation of the fuel pump. But we can bypass both of those by putting a jumper between B+ and FP in if you've got the DIAGNOSIS box under the hood. It's right next to the fuse box. I just use a paper clip bent into a U shape and stick one leg of the U into FP and the other in B+.

If you've got the earlier one that doesn't have the diagnosis box, there a round connector on the drivers side of the firewall in the engine compartment. Same deal, jumper the two together. This should turn on the fuel pump whenever the key is on.

Let me know if this work and the fuel pump runs and the engine starts. We'll figure this out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pins are not marked so not sure which are which.
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectronics/Toyota_old_diagnostic_pinout.shtml

Go to this site for the pinout.

I'll be off line for about two hours. If the jumper doesn't run the fuel pump, check to make certain that B+ has power with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at B+ pin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped do to 12v terminal on battery and it works. So no b+.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not do but fp
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

OK,

First off, there are two fuses to check. The 7.5 amp IGN fuse and the 15 amp EFI fuse.

If you've got a test light or a volt meter, check both lugs on these fuses to see if they have power going in and power going out.

The EFI fuse is in the box under the hood, the IGN fuse is under the dash on the left side.

If both fuses test good, then swap the EFI main relay with the starter relay. The EFI main relay is under the hood, the starter relay on on the right side of the fuse box under the dash. Toward the top.

Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

How are you doing on this? Any progress? Anything I can help you with?

DJ