Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I changed the coolant and now My 94 pickup stalls when it

Customer Question

I changed the coolant and now My 94 pickup stalls when it reaches operating temp. Why?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
No parts were replaced, correct? Just coolant flushed/drained and replaced.
When it stalls, will it restart immediately or do you have to let it set for awhile?
What was the procedure you used to bleed air from it?
As much detail as you can provide will help in diagnosing it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't replace any parts, just coolant. When it stalls, it might start if the temperature didn't get too hot, but will stall almost immediately regardless. Initially I didn't bleed air from the system. So I thought that was the problem. I then drained the radiator again, and disconnected a 3/8" hose from the top of the engine that I believe goes to the temp sensor in order to bleed the air as I filled the radiator. After it cools down awhile it will start again
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, you may still have air in it, which can cause it to stall if the air pocket gets to the iac valve and throttle body coolant bypass hose.
I want you to bleed it in the following manner. Keep in mind that air rises to the top in water, so we want the radiator and reservoir at highest point, so you need to first jack up the front end about 8-10" off the ground.
Fill radiator and reservoir to the full mark. Crank engine and turn the heater on high. Let idle for 5 minutes, then rev engine to 2000 rpms for 60 seconds. Let rpms come back down to idle speed and let idle for 3 more minutes. Turn engine off and let cool for a few minutes. Now check coolant level in the reservoir. If not at full mark, add coolant and repeat process. This usually takes 2-3 times to get all the air out.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks