Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Ok so on father in laws 2006 RAV4 limited with auto A/C, the

Customer Question

Ok so on father in laws 2006 RAV4 limited with auto A/C, the A/c light started blinking and av shut off, at the time it had code 22 in HVAC comp. Inspected it and found the clutch to have very slight physical damage, I assumed this was the root cause for the code 22. Replaced compressor, desicant bag and expansion valve along with flushing system and an evacuation and recharge ,also found no signs of compressor internal failure. Started vehicle and engaged A/C and system worked great, until I shut off A/C on test drive then won't reengage and only blows outside air. I stop and look under hood and clutch is engaged I have a steady av light. I evac and recharge again assuming I somehow screwed up the level, and it does the same thing works great until I shut it off then never comes on again. Pressures were normal while cooling. But low side was high and high was low while not cooling almost equal within 20-30 psi. Frustrated at the vehicle I revved the engine and the compressor began to pull down low side and high side increased and everything worked wonderfully until vehicle shut off the here we go all over again. I have 2 codes in the av system for solar sensors. I have a leak free av system that is properly oiled and charged. Fans are functional coolant full. I'm out of ideas that I can verify or test other than a weak clutch or bad compressor. Anyone seen this before?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry phone autocorrected A/C to av.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, the cause is the ambient temperature(solar sensors) that are setting codes. The sensor send a signal to cut the compressor off if temperature outside goes below I believe 50 degrees. If the sensor is not recording outside temperature incorrectly , it shuts the compressor off. You need to replace the ambient temperature sensor to correct the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went down that train of thought but the clutch is engaging on the compressor when ac is commanded on again after shutoff.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
When you shut it off, it resets the temp sensor which takes time to recycle and start reading again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, but how much time does it take? As it is currently the system will not cool again until either A) it's been evacuated and recharged, or B) you bounce the tach off redline. Then it will work as long as the car is running and no one touches the ac button of course. Is there a spec you have to test the sensors?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
What are the fault code numbers so I can upload the exact testing procedure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got codes 21 and 24 in the hvac comp.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, my bad. I was thinking the ambient temp sensor in front of vehicle instead of the actual solar sensors mount in dash top pad. I doubt both solar sensors are bad, but these 2 codes can also be set be a faulty ac amplifier that they send a signal to. This is also know as the ac accleration cut amplifier, which would be the reason that you can get it to re-engage when you redline it. Again, it will reset when you turn the engine off and then back on.

I uploaded the testing for the solar sensors and the ac amplifier as well as a diagram of locations, and honestly, I would do the test for the amplifier first, as it is your likely culprit, rather than both sensors failing at the same time

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check it ( amplifier) in am and get back with ya
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to check the vehicle yet, when I do, I will let you know.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok new ac amplifier in and still acting the same.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
did the old one test bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the test for the solar sensor it stated if sensor test bad replace ac amplifier so I did
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Hmmm, it has to be in the wiring then. The bottom set of tests is for the wiring to check continuity in the wiring, we need to do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Continuity is good, so aside from electrical is there anything mechanical that could give my symptoms
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Good wiring and new amplifier, I am stumped at this point to be honest. I am going to opt out and see if any other experts know where the issue lies. Sorry I could not help more