Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

If the transmission overheated as shown on a computer scan

Customer Question

If the transmission overheated as shown on a computer scan and the car was smoking, how likely is it transmission was damaged internally? The fluid inside was burned and black in color, but when the fluid was replaced, no metal particulates were observed. Is there a test(s) that will show any internal damage that may exist? Thanks (vehicle 2009 Toyota Sienna). We had an accident and the repair shop in error switched the transmission and air conditioner cooling lines.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sienna.

Are there any codes stored in the computer?

Do you have any drive-ability problems with the transmission?

Have you sent out a transmission oil sample to be tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the lack of information we have. The dealership stated the engine light code said the transmission had overheated, but did not provide a number code. The transmission oil was not tested by them and they took the car for a test drive after replacing the fluid and fixing a small leak in the transmission pan, and didn't observe any noises or problems.

Thanks

The code would be helpful here to get a clear idea of what happened. Is the Sienna still driving normally?

I apologize for the delay.