Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Just looking into what it would take to replace an EVAP

Customer Question

Hey There...
Just looking into what it would take to replace an EVAP Canister on my 2004 Toyota Avalon
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first took my car to the dealer... Code P0442 & P0446 they said it was the Air Fuel Ratio sensor... Sum total bill of $556.35. Within 4 days the Check engine light was back on and I am now being told it is either the fuel cap or the EVAP canister. I went ahead and paid the $41.95 (yikes) for the factory fuel cap.... and if the light comes on again I should have the Evap Canister replaced. That part is $380 and I can only imagine the labor. I don't mind working on my car. If I do have to replace the evap canister, do I OEM it or Toyota original it.
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Avalon.

It sounds like this Dealer doesn't know what they are doing and are just guessing at the problem. Would you be open to a second opinion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure... Yes I would

The problem we see most often with these codes is not the Charcoal Cannister (located in the rear of the car, under the cross frame) is the VSV (Vacuum Switching Valves) located under the engine cover.

How familiar are you with repairing this Avalon?

Do you know how the EVAP system works(on this car)? This is the system that has set the codes P0441 and P0446