Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

The headlights on my Camry no longer shut themselves off

Customer Question

The headlights on my Camry no longer shut themselves off automatically after I turn off the ignition, causing me a dead battery on one recent occasion. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I no longer leave them on during the day for fear I will forget to shut them off when I reach my destination and park for any length of time (arrive at work, for instance). Your thoughts? Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Does the manual switch on the lights work? If you turn them off manually do they turn off every time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the manual switch turns the lights off every time.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully this is not a control issue with the body module as that is hard to diagnose and expensive to replace. When the lights are on you need to pull the headlamp relay in the fuse box under the hood and see if the lights turn off. If they do then you will need to see if the relay is bad or if it is being commanded on. If they start on then pull each DRL relay as there are three of them and see which one turns it off. After you pull each one you need to reinstall it before pulling the next one. Let me know what you find.