Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I am putting a new head on a 1.8 in a 2001 geo prizm what is

Customer Question

I am putting a new head on a 1.8 in a 2001 geo prizm what is the torque specs for the head bolts
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JUst Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This is a 'Torque - to - distance" procedure. The initial torque specification is 36 ft lbs. Starting in the center, and working your way outward, set all 10 bolts to 36 ft lbs. Then mark each Head bolt with a dot of paint. Then, starting with the center 2 head bolts, and working your way outward, torque each head bolt and additional 90 degrees. After you do the additional 90 degrees torque to distance your cylinder head will be properly torqued down.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have repair book it tells me the same thing just didnt think 36 lbs was correct for a head it says it is a 3 step process you only told me 2

The factory repair manual states 2 passes. 1 at the initial torque, the second torque to distance 90 degrees. 36 is a bit light, I agree, but the 90 degrees does make up for it. Your book may allude to used head bolts for the 3rd pass. If I were you I would use new head bolts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The book i have for this motor says 18 then 36 then 90 degrees

That would work. The main point is torquing 90 degrees from the final torque of 36.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have new head bolts and washers book says to measure old ones for stretch if they are to far use new ones doesnt say anything about different torque for old bolts i have the information i need and all brand new head and hardware thank you

Ok. You are very welcome. Glad to help