Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

99 Toyota RAV4 won't shift out of park? The brake light 't

Customer Question

99 Toyota RAV4 won't shift out of park? The brake light don't appear to come on when brake pressed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The brake lights need to come on. If the brake lights do not come on, you either have a blown brake light fuse or the brake switch is faulty. The government has mandated that all cars sold in the USA have to have the driver's foot on the brake (which turns on the brake lights and sends power to the shifter to unlock it) before the shifter can be released from park. There is an over-ride button next tot he shifter under a small plastic plate. If you cannot find a blown brake light fuse, you might have a bad brake light switch. If you remove the small plastic insert next to the shifter, you will see a button. Press it down as far as it will go while moving the shifter out of park. The button will release the lock device on the shifter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brake lights are definitely off. Where is the fuse box? Will that take care of the problem?

The fuse panel is under the dashboard on the driver side. If you have a blown fuse, replace it with a spare located in the fuse panel under the hood. If it blows again, you have a short circuit in the brake light/shift interlock system Normally, fuses do not 'blow' unless they see a short circuit. If this vehicle has a wire installed to pull a light trailer, that is the first place I would look for a short.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply.

If not, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.