Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2003 tacoma v-6 133000 miles 4x4 started missing suddenly.

Customer Question

2003 tacoma v-6 133000 miles 4x4 started missing suddenly. took to my mechanic, new plugs, wires now runs good but won`t idle cold, kicks back on hard acellaration in first two gears {5 speed} code shows problem with air flow sensor but replacing it made no difference. pulling the plug to this sensor doesn`t change anything. mechanic says pulling this connector should make engine run crazy but it doesn`t change a thing. scratching head.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If you can unplug the MAF and it doesn't change the way it runs then the MAF isn't sending a signal to the PCM. I'm willing to bet that there is a wiring problem from the MAF. Which code did you pull?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to to a throttle position relearn? I had one lose calibration once and I had to manually force a relearn.

1. Disconnect the battery cables and cross them together.

2. Hold then crossed for about 1 minute.

3. Then hook up the positive cable, but before you connect the negative hold the throttle flap closed all the way on the throttle body. I had to have a helper.

4. Then connect the negative battery cable. It should learn the closed throttle position as the idle position.

5. Start the truck and see how it runs.