Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

Hearing valve chatter while during city driving with A'C on

Customer Question

hearing valve chatter while during city driving with A'C on but not under acceleration 2009 Totyota Camry Hybrid
mileage 112K
always change oil regularly. always use synthetic 0W-30 or 5w- 30
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Does the noise occur with the a/c turned off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, only while A/C is being used and causing Nominal drag on the 2.4 liter engine.....bearings and belts for A/C are in good shape within specs.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

The drag from the a/c compressor should not be enough to cause the valve to chatter. If that is the case you should be able to get the same chatter if you hold the brake pedal down and give it some gas. If it will not make noise at any other time then it sounds like the a/c compressor. I have heard this compressor make noise that sounds just like a valve train issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try dragging the brake with A/C off to see if the noise is evident that sounds like valve chatter.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know as this will tell us a little more as to what is going on. I have seen more compressors cause this than anything else.