Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years
12772297

Matt, I've got Land Cruiser D4D LC5 2005, few days ago when

Customer Question

Hi Matt, I've got Land Cruiser D4D LC5 2005, few days ago when car was almost stalled, the engine cut off. Wasn't able to restart, RAC mechanic couldn't find any reason hence car towed home.
Today, in the morning I disconnected the batteries and reconnected and it started working. I drove it around both fast and slow nothing happened.
But then in the afternoon I went to see someone kept my car tuned on. After few minutes felt a jerk kind of air gap. then after a minuted car shut down.
Did the same thing disconnected and reconnected batteries managed to start it and kept my feet on the accelerator to keep the car in the High Revs. Now parked in the driveway while I'm confused and searching on the web.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensorsso check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank positionsensor

Cam positionsensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor

unplug each inturn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each inturn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplugand inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating orcorroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.