Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I have a 1986 toyota pick up truck that somebody has swaaped

Customer Question

i have a 1986 toyota pick up truck that somebody has swaaped in a diesel motor. Problem is i can't identify engine size to get parts. only thing i have is engine serial number. 2L3376345 anybody have an answer?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

Toyota produced two diesel engines for the pickup between 1983 and 1988. The 2L and the 2L-T.

The difference is the 2L-T was a turbo. Both engines were 2366 cc.

These are very rare. I've heard numbers like 1,000 were imported. Some guys would give a sacred body part to get one of these engines.

You should be able to tell if this was a factory install or somebody's conversion by the first six letters of the VIN. Do you have those handy?

DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is a swap somebody put into truck. do not have vin numbers cannot tell what size motor. I bought parts for a 2l they do not fit. this is not a factory install. I have asked this question before. you gave me same answer as before. I am getting sued because I cannot determine proper engine size to get right parts. Any way else I can determine what engine I have? Anywhere I can call?

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Does it look like a Toyota engine? Have you got any pictures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can get pictures. as far as I know its supposed to be a hilux engine has Toyota markings.

Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Anything you can find is helpful. Aluminum head or cast iron, how many cams and is it overhead cam or is the cam in the block?

Anything written on the valve cover or front timing cover.

Is the cam belt driven, chain driven or gear driven?