Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have 09 venza I was poking around with a meter looking to

Customer Question

i have 09 venza I was poking around with a meter looking for power to hook up back up cam by the driver side left foot panel and now check engine light and power steering light are on car won't turn over and I get p0453 code that I can't clear
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Poking around, did you stick something into a fuse block, or wire, or connector if so, what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was looking for power that is not on all the time with a volt meter.disconnect a plug check with volt meter then reconnect thats it I did not connect cut or anything else I stopped and my wife wanted to take her car. turn key nothing. it doesn't turn over and I get check engine light and power steering light are on and there is a code p0453 it will clear but comes wright back.

Based on this information you should be able to just perform a reset to resolve this. Try disconnecting both battery cables for 15 minutes then hold them together for one minute, then reconnect. Let me know those results. If that fails then we have to start diagnosing the 0453 code.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no dice there is a buzz coming out of the transmission pan

The only things that can buzz in the transaxle are the solenoids.

We can diagnose the 0453 EVAP pressure sensor concern but its not going to address the no start issue. Use the diagram below for the start circuit.

With the key on, the starter relay removed, and a paper clip jumped from relay pin 3 to 5, does it crank and start?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
were is the starter relay what does it look like

Its in the fuse box under the hood, its black and square.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see a black box inside fuse box just blue and purple relays and they only have 4 pins

Below is an image.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dud it started but I put rely back no start whats next

Great, that means the relay is just missing one of its inputs That is going to be the power when trying to start at pin 2. At the park neutral position switch on the transaxle. Leave it plugged in and slide 2 paper clips in beside the red and green wires. OHM test across them. In P and N you should get a closed circuit and open in all other gears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kk were are these wires you have anther pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could we text this takes along time 5 star for sure if we can

I can not phone text images from computer screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the jumper in I could start and drive it fine should I still do this step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I mean to say is the shift indicator looks like its working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to call it a night

The jumper is only for cranking the engine. Once started it has to be removed or the starter will stay engaged. Yes you still need to verify the PNP switch is showing park and neutral. If not it will not crank with the relay installed and using the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter only engaged when I turned the key to the start position with the key in the run position and the jumper still in the starter was not engaged any more. the jumper makes it work like normal, I realize it's not fixed but the jumper does make it work like it should. I will be working on it at 4pm est I'm at work now I hope we can get it fixed then moose this is my wife's car and she not happy! I've talked to a couple auto technicians that I am friends with as well as the local dealer and you are the only one that as helped. thanks moose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i unplug it and test, its sealed don't no how i would get a wire in there

You can unplug the PNP and test it with OHMs. If you can not squeeze a paper clip in beside the PNP switch wires to touch there pins so you can test the signal then try a sewing needle. Does your car have the smart key setup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unplugged in park across pins 1 and 2 no resistances

Great, the PNP is good,

Does your car have the smart key setup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no you turn key no push button

Use the link below.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought we wanted resistances in park and none in all other gears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you have to tell me how to do each test I'm a little gun shy look at the mess I'm in

You want no resistance in P and N that means there is continuity, power is able to flow through.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry want make sure, to me its open and power can't flow threw if there is some res than the power can flow.

A cut wire tested at both ends will show OL out of limits, alot of resistance

A damaged wire or one with corrosion making poor connection will have a number reading like 0.129164, thats resistance

A solid undamaged wire will show 0.0 no resistance.

You want to see 0.0, power can flow in and out of the PNP in P or N.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very pissed off at this end it seems my fluk has a bad wire and can't trust it but I believe that ,in park it is open : if I touch the ends of my fluk it should read 00.2 and when they are in air it reads 0L and when I touch 1 and 2 it always reads 0L

Unplug the PNP and jump across both wires in and out of it for the starting circuit using a paper clip. Then with the relay installed try to start it. If it at the least cranks, then the PNP is to blame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did not crank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a volt meter from a friend and I stock two pins in the plug ,so with it plugged in and in park it is open no power would pass threw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
update sorry it turns out it is passing power in park but it passes power in gear to. I had to wiggle my pins to make contact they are sealed pretty tight.

Since the jump to bypass the PNP resulted in it not cranking, that means no power is getting from the ignition switch to the relay. So next is to check power into and out of the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
up date I found the problem a bent pin in one of the plugs that I unplugged but now the all wheel drive light is on and the traction control light and check engine light

Glad you got that resolved. I would need the trouble codes stored to diagnose those other issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0705

I have been informed, this new concern with the transaxle is not related to the original issue. This post needs to be rated and a new post opened for this trans code and concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really I think it's all that poking around the pnp

Thats possible, but I am not allowed to post diagnostic help on new issues that arise. I have to follow the rules of the website. I could though answer through the additional service offer I sent you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I take your advise and now I have a new problem as a result of that advise and you say sorry can't help! do you want me to live feedback now really? my car is more messed up now than it was !

It seems your not pleased with me, nor plan to compensate me for helping. I will opt out and let someone else try. Best of luck sorry you feel I am to blame for your car being broken and thanks for letting me try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is not my plan if this gets fixed and i stay out of the dealer I would gladly take your offer. the car is worse off now and your saying good luck put your self in my shoes and yes I do believe you have tried hard to help me 5 star all the way.