Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have an 86 pickup w/ a 22r. Installed rebuilt carb. Idles

Customer Question

I have an 86 pickup w/ a 22r. Installed rebuilt carb. Idles & runs much better, but when you step down on it to pass or something the carb seems to load up & backfires in carb, can you help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like an electrical issue. Please inspect your distributor. Count the number of vacuum lines on it and please advise of the total. 1, 2 or 3. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 vacuum lines on the distributor. The acceleration issue did not present itself until I swapped the carb. One of the vacuum lines goes to some type of vacuum switch on the intake, and is not electrical. The other vacuum line goes to the foward most port on the carb. Where the vacuum lines change over to metal tubes, I found some of them plugged when I swapped the carbs, I cleaned them out and checked all vacuum routing with the oem drawing on the hood. My best guess, either the float settings in the rebuilt are not right or I do have a vacuum issue that should open the high speed throttle port as it appears the butterfly on the drivers side is not fully opening on full throtle acceleration.

You might be right, but you also might not have the vacuum lines hooked up right. On the distributor, you have a vacuum advance and a vacuum retard. If you are leaking vacuum to the advance or the retard, the spark occurs wrong and you get backfires. A float level that is too high will cause you problems all the time, not just on hard accel. You also might want to make sure the EGR vacuum is correct and the EGR is not opening too soon. This really sounds like vacuum issues. The backfire pretty much confirms this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a pic w/my phone of the vacuum dwg. I can email you if you provide me with the link.

you can attach it to the site via the paperclip. I will see it here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the vacuum lines when I replaced the carb, but may have crossed something. I suppose I can try switching the lines on the distributor.

Yes. Let's do that first. Also, Disconnect the EGR valve and put a bolt or suitable blocking device in the end of the hose to prevent vacuum leaks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the pic of the vacuum dwg. Sorry for the clarity, I cleaned as best I could w/o destroying info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switching the vacuum lines on the distributor causes engine to die at lo idle.

Ok. Let's now make sure that all of the vacuum lines under the air cleaner are secure. You do have the air cleaner installed, yes?

And drive it with the EGR valve disconnected and plugged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it removed at present. Installed normally.

The air cleaner needs to be on the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air cleaner is installed. I switched the vavuum lines on the distributor again & it did not stall at low idle. Maybe because it is warmed up now. I will take on road test for acceleration and get back to you in a min.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not seem to have an affect one way or the other.

Let's pull the air cleaner off and look at the glass window in the front of the carb. Using a good light, see where the liquid level is. Advise of where it is in relation to the glass

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked with engine off, a little under half a glass. Running it is just at half
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few min to verify my vacuum routing. It may shed some light.

The float level would be correct then. The levels should be at 1/2 of the glass. Ok let me know about the routing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Standby

ok