Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Vsc lite,trac-off and engine light came on

Customer Question

vsc lite,trac-off and engine light came on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The check engine light turning on will cause the other systems like trac control and vehicle stability control to be disabled, this by default, the first thing to do is get the diagnostic information from the engine control computer, most auto parts stores in the US except California can get the diagnostic trouble codes for you at no charge, Autozone, Advance Auto, O Reilly etc. If the vehicle is running normally it is most likely emission control related and it is safe to drive, please take it to an autoparts store to have the codes retrieved using their code reader and let me know the code numbers when you get a chance.

If you recently filled the tank there is a chance that the fuel cap may be loose or not sealing so be sure the cap is on tight, if the cap is loose tighten it then disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute and see if the light stays off after driving a few miles. Let me know what you find out, by disconnecting the battery all codes are cleared out, while the light is off no codes can be retrieved from the computer.