Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I am having a problem with my window on the front passenger

Customer Question

I am having a problem with my window on the front passenger side of my 2007 Yaris (4 door sedan). I checked the motor with another power source and it worked. The door switch is shorting out top right and bottom left. The contacts on those appear to be a little black. The driver side control switch sends power to the passenger side switch, but does nothing to make the window go up and down. On the harness clip that attaches to the switch there 5 wires, the red and green go to the motor. Pink and white come from the driver side switch with power on them. Blue wire appears to be hot all the time. I tried to jump the blue with the green wire to the motor direct and nothing happened. I also tried with the red and same result. I do not know if there are any relays for this motor, I know there are 3 20 amp fuses. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.
I
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The blue wire is 'hot' all of the time with the key on. This is normal. The red wire on the motor is for the UP movement. The green wire is for the DOWN movement. What you need to have is a Ground circuit present at the Pink and white wires. Here is the basics of operation: The motor receives power all of the time. Depending on the application of the switches, a ground circuit is passed into the motor. Ie if the switch is put into the UP position, the ground circuit is completed to the Red wire. The window raises. When the DOWN is selected, the ground application is sent to the green wire. In other words, depending on where the ground is sent, the motor runs one way or the other. To verify your situation, you need to check continuity between the Pink and White wires to a good ground. There should be direct continuity. Note that the master switch, in its 'rest' position allows the ground to be sent to the pink and white wires. It is highly possible that you do not have a ground being sent to the passenger side from the driver side master control. To manually test your circuit, Lump a ground into the pink wire and apply voltage to the green wire, The motor should lower the glass. Then apply a ground to the white wire and voltage to the red wire. The motor should raise. If this is good, focus on seeing iof you have a ground at the driver side switch in the pink and wires. In any case, you SHOULD have a ground present at the pink and white wires at the passenger side front door switch. If not, this is where your problem is.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought a ground in from the battery to the harness on the door. I jumped everything that should be jumped . It worked from both the driver and passenger doors. Lost all power driver and passenger side all windows. Checked all 3 fuses they are all good. What could possibly cause this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please disregard the above message. I now have power back on the driver side. I'm still working on the passenger side. I do have power to the blue wire.

Ok. Where are you now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can make the motor go both up and down not using white or pink (they don't work) I did a continuity test between the pink and white and it was good. I hooked up all of the switches that had to be jumped, doing that ,nothing lasted more than 10 - 15 seconds. I got fed up I brought in a ground off the battery to the passenger harness just using the red and green. I can make the window go up and down excluding the white and the pink. I checked the continuity of the white and pink on drivers side to the passenger side and both appear good. What do you think?

I think you have a bad master control switch set of contacts that are bad on the driver side door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that a shot tomorrow.

Ok. Great. Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked up my passenger side switch up to the harness and I can make everything work through the switch driver side and passenger side. The copper strips are very bent and I tried to bend them back to normal I'm going to need new ones. Can you tell me where to buy them. I'm on my last problem hopefully, the only way I can make everything work is by holding down the copper strip myself for middle and any end contact. In order for me to have each one work I have to supply the ground I brought in from the battery on the middle contact opposite the copper strip.

The copper strips, sadly, are not sold seperatly. You will need to get the entire switch assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I get the ground to the switch , without using the the ground from the battery that I ran to the inside of the car.
Thank you for the help so far.

Take a wire. Bare both ends. Attach a solderless ring terminal. Remove one of the existing 10 MM bolts on the door sheet metal. Attach the ring to the bolt and screw the bolt tight. . This will give you a ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I haven't been able to work on the car for a couple of days. I ordered a new passenger side switch for it which will take about 3 - 5 days to receive. The last time I did work with it I had problems with the ground. I attached a ground wire to the door I put it behind a 10mm bolt I'm going to have to scrap off the paint to make it a ground. I'm using a good ground from under the hood. I hooked up the ground to the white wire and for some reason all it did was get hot. The 6 contacts inside the switch I put a jumper from any of the corners to the middle and nothing works I supply my ground to the opposite middle and I can produce any window to go up or down that way. I don't understand when I do those contacts for the passenger side, I hook up the contacts for that side I use top corner and middle contact jumper supply the ground to the opposite middle and the window goes up and down with out the switch. I do the drivers side hooking up with the jumper top to middle put the ground on the other middle instead of the window going up and down you need to use what I'm doing with the contacts and also the driver side switch, I don't understand why you would use a switch on the driver to make it work and not have to use switch on passenger side. That's where I'm at now.

The system is hard to understand even for an electrician. In basics, the driver side door switch, when not being pressed, sends a ground over to the passenger door. The ground circuit is active, but the switch is idle on the driver side door. When you move the switch on the Passenger side door, the ground supplied by the DRIVER side door allows the motor to move. If you want to make the passenger side door work independently of the driver side door, you need a 2 momentary on switches. One with power and a ground (power to YELLOW motor wire and a ground to the motor); for Lift. The other, with the wires reversed, Power to BLACK motor wire and ground for Lower.