Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Brakes. My LC developed a problem

Customer Question

1997 Toyota Landcruiser. Brakes. My LC developed a problem in the braking system at low speeds. The problem is that at low speeds (stopping at a stop sign) the car would move or slide forward a few inches before stopping -- As if the brakes released for a moment, than engaged again. The vehicle always stops. Toyota dealership diagnosed the problem as the left rear speed sensor not working at low speeds. They did not state this would solve problem, but there diagnostic tools indicated that there was a problem in this system. I purchased a speed sensor at Rock Auto and had a shop install (not Toyota dealership). Problem was not resolved. Any ideas.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Landcruisers are notoriously hard on brakes, especially if you live in hilly terrain and it sees winter weather. What you are probably experiencing is a bypassing of brake fluid past the actuator piston in the master cylinder. We had this exact same condition several years ago in our shop. We thought the front calipers were the cause (lots of rust on the moving part and the pads were rusted to the retention bracket)...cleaning all of that up made it 'better' but not perfect as we would have wanted. We endedup replacing the master cylinder. Perhaps you need to have your shop remove all 4 wheels and all 4 calipers (do not disconnect the brake fluid hoses). Check for rust on the part that moves. Remove the pads and check to see that they are free in their holders. Clean anything that is rusty or seized. Fit new brake pads if the pad material remaining is 3/32" or less. Then retest. If that does not do you any good, replace the master cylinder.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer