Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1996 toyota lux 3ltr efi, the truck starts normally

Customer Question

I have a 1996 toyota hilux 3ltr efi, the truck starts normally in the morning or whenever it has gone cold, but after about 10 -*****the motor will stop when you stop at lights etc. It starts up okay but you have to keep the revs up. It will also cut out when you switch on an electrical device ie. electric windows, heater, light's etc..necessitating a key start. Ive had the alternator checked out and found no issues
When the truck stops it seems as if it is being starved of fuel or air
Please help if you can
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Even though you have had the alternator checked out, thsi really sounds like an alternator issue. The engine needs a minimum of 10.5 volts DC to run. Anything lower than this the computer ceases to function. That means the EFI quits working. Activating an electrical accessory should cause the voltage regulator to activate and increase the current voltage. A properly operating alternator should maintain 14.4 volts DC output 100% of the time. If your voltage regulator is not responding fast enough, this will cause your problem. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to have the alternator output (Voltage and Amperage) checked while the alt is installed on the engine, and the engine is running. A professional alternator tester in an automotive shop is needed. The output at idle should be 14.4 volts DC. With the engine running, at full load, you shoul have at least 60 amps output. If the test cannot be performed with the engine running (ie it cuts out) get another alternator and retest.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned in my initial question I had the alternator checked by an auto electrician, he said thay it was running fine at 14.4 volts and that whatever the problem was it was beyond the scope of his work

I read and understood that. However, simply checking the alternator with a volt-meter is not a proper diagnosis. What he needs to do is check the voltage drop when an accessory is utilized (ie headlights) If the volts drop, the alternator has a problem. It 'can' deliver 14,4 volts. That would be good. The ability for the alternator to Continue to deliver 14.4 through load increases is what we need to know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im presuming that the reputable tradesman I used with more than 40 year's experience who had the vehicle for 3 hours performing all manner of tests did do a thorough job. Having used Nigel on many occasions I'm satisfied with his assertion that the problem is beyond his expertise. I was hoping you might be able to give me an alternate opinion before I have the truck analyzed by the local toyota franchises pc

I am not saying the tech is not doing his job. SInce I am not able to test the vehicle on my machine, all I can do is advise you of what I would be doing. This sounds very much like an alternator issue. More specifically, a low voltage condition. The next thing we need to do is ascertain what the actual voltage is when the engine cuts out. Was that diagnosis preformed by your tech?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it is midnight here in New Zealand I will have to delay my next reply to you so I can speak to nigel 2moro . If you could list the things that concern you regarding our problem I will seek an answer from Nigel to your thoughts and contact you again 2moro night with his reply if thats okay

Ok. Excellent.

We need to know:

Alternator output voltage at idle and throughout the RPM range as the engine increases RPM. If the voltage drops, the alternator is bad.

Alternator output with the headlamps turned on. Does the voltage drop? If so, the alternator is bad.

If no voltage drops, have him check the CIRCUIT OPENING RELAY. It may be dropping out due to age. This relay powers the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot look forward to talking to you again soon

You are very welcome