Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2005 Sequoia VSC, TRAC and CHECK ENGINE warnings came on.

Customer Question

2005 Sequoia VSC, TRAC and CHECK ENGINE warnings came on. Discovered loose gas cap from filling tank three days ago (about 75 miles travelled since fill up). Tightened gas cap, but no change; topped off tank, still no change. Thoughts?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. It could be the gas cap is still leaking tank vapor pressure. The first thing to do here would be to remove the o-ring inside the cap and turn it backwards, so the has filler side surface of the o-ring is facing the towards the inside of the cap. Over time, the o-ring seal gets flattened. This causes a poor seal. Additionally, you say you topped the tank off, not sure how you far you filled it but you should never keep adding fuel once the nozzle automatically shuts off the flow. If you add more fuel, you lessen the room for the fuel vapors inside the tank. This will cause the light to come on. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to flip the gas cap o-ring around. Then tighten as tight as possible. The light will reset after tow drive cycles. That is start up/operating temperature/shut down/absolute cold restart and repeat. Usually takes two days to shut off the light after you flip the o-ring. Or you can go to a shop where they can clear the code.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer