Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 2009 Toyota Corolla that has failed three emission

Customer Question

I have 2009 Toyota Corolla that has failed three emission tests with Catalyst and Oxygen sensor “Not Ready”. All other components are ready. There was no check engine light ever for this car. I drive mostly highway and based on recommendation tried driving
car 30 miles steady 55-60 mph which still did not reset it. I did not get an adequate answer to this question a few weeks back from Just Answer. I disconnected battery approximately March 2015 (all previous emission tests passed). I went for emission test
5/30/15 79353 miles, 7/17/15 80, 950 miles, and 8/8/15 81,575 miles (about 2000 miles since 1st test). What is the exact Drive Cycle recommended by Toyota for 2009 Toyota Corolla 4 cylinder to reset OBD Computer . Also what could be other causes for Catalyst
and Oxygen sensor being “Not Ready” if engine light is not on, etc., thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Toyota has produced a technical service bulletin that clearly states how the readiness and drive cycles are to be done. Since the information is property of Toyota, and is copywritten, I cannot post it here. However, you can easily look the bulletin up. The bulletin number is ***** You can finsd thsi bulletin Here: http://www.watrd.com/work/TSB_EG003-02_%28revised%29.pdf

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have a 2009 Toyota corolla. The bulletin number EG003-02 says it covers just up to 2002. Is it the same for 2009. Thanks
The drive cycles are all the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, both my oxygen sensors and catalyst are not ready. The Toyota bulletin you supplied is great. There is a separate drive pattern for the catalyst and oxygen sensors. Which drive pattern should I do first, the catalyst or the oxygen sensors. Thanks Anthony

Do the Cat pattern first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I tried one drive pattern for catalyst first and then oxygen sensors and unfortunately still are not ready (I brought car to autozone for scan and there were no codes --just a display that read that catalyst and oxygen sensors are still not ready) .
1. Should I try and repeat drive patterns again.
2. Would it make sense to disconnect battery and start process again. If yes how long to disconnect.
Thanks for your patience in trying to help me get the emission system to reset.

Hello again. Let's start with something very important here. Are all of the parts (catalytic converter and sensors genuine Toyota? If not, they may never reset. Some sensors are not 100% compatible with the Toyota ECU, and catalytic converters that are aftermarket rarely are compatible, They 'work', to a point, but they are not exactly the same. The next thing after ascertaining if the parts are genuine or not would be to disconnect the battery, both sides, and let it sit overnight unconnected

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the parts catalytic converter and sensors are original genuine Toyota that came with car. I bought the car with 23000 miles and it has 80000 miles now and has passed two previous emission tests (The battery was not ever disconnected or went dead before the two passing tests). I never replaced these parts too

I would recommend you have the monitors checked at a facility other than Autozone. Their scan tool may not be compatible with this car. It can happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will bring the car back to emission center 1st thing Sat morning to double check that catalytic converter and sensors are ready or not ready.
If still not ready I will disconnect the battery, both sides, and let it sit overnight unconnected, and then go through Toyota Bulletin drive cycle for catalytic converter first and then oxygen sensors.
Please let me know if any other recommendations. Thanks

I would purchase and utilize a can of really good fuel injection cleaner into the tank and drive it several miles. We use a product called BG 44k. Maybe all you have is sime carbon buildup on the sensor element and inside the cat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great idea --I will try it too

Ok. Wish you the best. A positive rating for my assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just update from last week. I verified with Motor Vehicle testing center that catalytic converter and sensors are still not ready. I also borrowed a scanner which also states the same. I ordered BG 44k and added it to 10 gallons of gas which I will use up this week. I will do at least two drive cycles next week that you previously recommended.
Question: The scanner does live data and OBD II diagnostics. Are there any test numbers I should look up on the scanner to find out why it is taking so long for catalytic converter and sensors to become ready. Thanks

Thanks. No test numbers I know of. Please keep me advised

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, tried every drive cycle multiple times and verified with Motor Vehicle testing center that catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are still not ready---so we can rule out that problem is a drive cycle issue (3000-4000 miles driven since battery was disconnected). Tried fuel system cleaner BG 44k and also no help. I even tried disconnecting battery overnight and same thing happens ---all monitors reset right away except for catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. Still have zero codes or impending codes. Car runs very good but cannot pass emission test.
I ran the scanner I borrowed again and noticed that something --- in the I/M it reads that only two monitors are INC (catalytic converter and oxygen sensors). However the data for last drive cycle shows 3 INC (EVAP, catalytic converter and oxygen sensors). Not sure if this has anything to do with the catalytic converter and sensors still not ready.
I did a lot of reading --- could the temp sensor be bad or the oxygen sensors not working right. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what is causing this difficult problem.

Call your Local Toyota dealer and ask them if you can get your program scanned and see if there is a new program available to reflash your ECU