Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have had a 2002 prius since it was new, 250,000 miles on

Customer Question

I have had a 2002 prius since it was new, 250,000 miles on it now. At the 150,000 mile mark I noticed the mechanical engine would stall out, sometimes, I would restart and it ran fine and the check engine light reset after the required # ***** miles, it started in the winter, so I assumed it was due to a cold engine, on a car that you can't rev, to warm up. Had a mechanic back then tell me it was the large battery failing (i didnt believe him), and sporadically thru the next 100,00 miles it has continued, is definitely getting worse w/age. Once the mechanical engine is started there are no problems at all, so for the past 6 months I have taken to peeling out when I start the car, to get the engine going. It will also stall if I'm in reverse at start up, unless I pop it into neutral after hitting the gas and then peeling out. I have had no other problems at all with this vehicle, one brake change, couple little battery replacements and nothing else..............everything still works!
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

I'm going to give you something to try, I noticed that you indicated you're not going to do this yourself so I'll provide instructions for a mechanic to follow:

Disconnect the 12 volt negative battery terminal in the trunk

Remove the air filter completely from the throttle body

Remove the throttle body

Inspect inside the manifold for oily deposits pooled up on the bottom

Clean out the oil using a spray intake cleaner and some rags stuffed in to soak up all liquid in the manifold

Clean the inside of the throttle body using the same cleaner and a stiff brush

Replace the spark plugs

Reconnect everything

This should restore normal idling and starting of the gas engine.