Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2000 RAV4 gh idle speed condition started suddenly and no

Customer Question

2000 RAV4 high idle speed condition started suddenly and no check engine indicated 2WD 4DR gas.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. AN unexpected high idel condition is usually causes be a sticking throttle plate. The throttle plate is the thing than moves when you press on the gas pedal. It is a round flap-type device that admits air into the engine at the front of the intake manifold. Over time, carbon and other dirt form the engine operation tend to congregate here and can build a layer of debris. This layer can and will hold the throttle plate open a few millimeters which will give you a high idle if present. The situation is easy to resolve, should you choose to do thsi yourself. Get a can of a spray product called "Throttle Body Cleaner" at your local auto parts store. Remove the air tube that connects the air filter box to the intake manifold at the connection closest to the engine. Manually open the round metal flap and spray the flap and the interior of this aluminum unit. If excessively black, an old toothbrush and some scrubbing with the toothbrush will loosen the black buildup easily. Wipe with paper towels and keep spraying/wiping until the entire assembly is perfectly clean. The reattach the tube. If you are not sure about doing this, a good shop can do it for you. Just call and ask for a Throttle Body Service. They will know what you want and need. This job usually costs about 50 dollars in most shops. Note that this black buildup will NOT set a check engine light.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned I cleaned the butterfly round metal top as you called it and no improvement... You just restated what I said was done. Not satisfied with this response.

I'm sorry, that did not show up on my screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not paying for nothing. I said I already cleaned the butterfly.

The other thing that would cause this, something that you need to look at is the possibility of the Idle Air Control Valve ("IAC") sticking. The IAC moves back and forth via commands form the computer. When the engine needs more (faster) idle, the IAC moves to a more open position. This allows additional air into the engine which increases the idle. The IAC moves open (more idle) when the AC is on, or on cold starts. If the IAC is stuck in the fully open position, you will get an accelerated idle. Sticking IAC valves are very common complaints in the shop

We replace IAC valve in these engines every week on cars of thsi age. Carbon (the same found in the throttle body) gets into the IAC and prevents proper motion of the shutter valve that admits the idle air. We have tried many, many times to clean them, but to no avail. If this car was in my shop, and the throttle plate was good and clean, I would be recommending to you that we replace the Idle Air Control Valve. It is located underneath the throttle body; the throttle body must be removed in order to replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned the IAC valve also ..

As I mentioned, cleaning the IAC is fruitless. We have tried many times to restore the IACs to proper operation. We have used every kind of cleaner and lubricant that is in the shop. We see this a lot on used cars/trade ins. The used car dept never wants to spend money on the IACs; they think we can clean them...Nothing works. Bolt on a new IAC, the problem is solved.

This is, of course, predicated on the belief that your throttle cables are properly adjusted and are not corrupted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not satisfied with your response. I request a refund.

You can contact customer service; they handle all refund requests. At the end of the day, you are going to need a new IAC. Have a great afternoon and thanks for choosing Just Answer