Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Sometimes when the a/c is engaged the engine will die at

Customer Question

sometimes when the a/c is engaged the engine will die at other times the light on the button will starting blinking and the a/c starts to blow warm air. at other times the a/c works great.....
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks fr posting

The problem could be the a/c magnetic clutch relay located in the fuse box under the hood, it's designated 'MG/CL" in the diagram, the 42psi at the low port is normal with the compressor running so it doesn't sound like it's overcharged.

See if there is another relay in the fuse box that you can swap with the a/c clutch relay and it may solve this but I have to caution you that this may also be due to a compressor or clutch that is starting to go out, the engine dying at idle could be an indication of this due to the extra load on the engine, try the relay first and reply back here to me andwe'll take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try swapping the relay but could that act up intermittently or would that be more of an all the time problem
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
It can be very intermittent. Have replaced quite few for this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far no change
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you mentioned that the pressure on the low side was 42 PSI with the compressor running but we don't know what the high pressure side is doing, there could be a restriction in the system or possibly the compressor starting to go out, is there anyway you can get both high and low side pressures while the compressor is engaged?