Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 2005 Sequoia back window wiper wont return to the plastic

Customer Question

My 2005 Sequoia back window wiper wont return to the plastic resting piece so the back window in turn will not lower. any idea how to get the wiper to return to rest?
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive Tried Resetting the ECU with the up down window button on the dash and afterward the window will roll down and be operational until I use the back wiper. Then the back window becomes unresponsive.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you take the wiper arm off of the pivot for the wiper motor and run the wipers until they stop and shut them off does the window work every time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry, I was out of town for the week, let me see if i take the wiper arm off the pivot, if the window works. Stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I took the wiper arm off the pivot and it still malfunctions. The back window will only roll down after a rear ecu reset (Disconecting the battery) but once you use the wiper switch, the back window loses its ability to roll down. The wiper only returns home maybe 1 in 8 times of use and the rear window still wont roll down even when it does return home.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If you are 100% certain that the wiper motor is making it to the home position than that usually can rule out the input to the back door ECU to tell the window motor to go ahead and operate. Anytime it's not in the full parked position the window will not work. There's a possibility there is a malfunction in the rear wiper motor itself. This being said there is also a technical service bulletin to address an issue with the back window not working from 2001 two 2007 2005 through 2007 also require replacing of the back door ECU. The service bulletin number is *****
if you copy and paste this link below you can find a copy online you may need to apply the criteria of this technical service bulletin to correct your problem. There's no way to know for sure until you start digging into it.
http://www.toyotapart.com/Back_Door_Power_Window_Inoperative_TSB011510.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the tsb performed and recently replaced the back ecu and rear window motor but the wiper still disables the window. I don't think the wiper is returning home, is there something I can do to get the wiper to return home or do I just have to get a new wiper motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I know 100% the wiper isn't returning home.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If the wiper is not returning to the home position the rear window will not work correctly. If you can get it to return to the home position then remove the negative battery cable and operate the power window switch for the rear window from the center console hold it to the Auto down position until the window goes all the way down then release it and immediately go to the auto up position and hold it till the window stops for about 3 seconds. This is the only way to retime the window while in the home position on the wiper if that still does not continue to allow the window to work you will probably have to replace the wiper motor.