Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Have 2015 Venza with 20 inch rims and Michelin P245/50R20

Customer Question

have 2015 Venza with 20 inch rims and Michelin P245/50R20 tires very stiff ride not happy dealer test ride was in Venza that had 19 inch tires smooth ride don't understand what the problem is?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What was the overall tire size was on a 19 inch wheels on the Venza that you drove? Was that also a 2015?

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What do you have the tire pressures set at when it's cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if your an expert you would know 19 inch tire type, I don't have a clue, bought car in summer its still summer, tire pressure is 34 lbs, all I know is what I said car rode better with 19 inch than 20 inch up grade I bought, I think its the tire profile I thought you would know that thru factory spec I don't have that info.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

First of all I don't have a clue what tire was on the 19 inch wheel there are multiple tire suppliers and wheel options for any one particular Toyota model. I don't have a crystal ball. At this point I don't think were communicating very well I will opt out you can work with another expert. I Apologize if I made the assumption that if you noticed a drastic difference you would've taken note to the tire size tire brand and style of rim that was on the vehicle that you are satisfied with the ride on.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If you are just looking for general ideas and possible solutions I can get you in the ballpark but I would need to know the specific tire size and brand that you were dealing with that you like the ride on. Generally speaking anytime you go with a larger wheel for example the 20 inch wheel you sacrifice the tire wall side thickness by that I mean the distance from the rim to the road. The profile of the tire becomes thinner this by default will make the ride stiffer. When you start going with a thinner sidewall on the 20 inch tire you cannot compensate much with air pressure to soften the ride because that you run the risk of damaging the sidewall. Thinner sidewalls typically have slightly higher tire pressure.
you might try to reduce the tire pressure to 32 PSI but generally speaking Michelin tires are in my opinion a much better ride. Unless you get into the extremely low profile tires which you have with the 20 inch wheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
repeat car is new test drove only new, is there a "different type 20 inch that gives a softer ride", that will fit inside wheel well with no problems to size. I see your response it appears i've got the best tire, do you think the dealer not advising me of this change in ride has a responsibility to change tire size to make it right. plus the salesman said it would ride much better with 20 inch vs 19 inch, I'm very disappointed after paying 36k for this 2015 liminted.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the salesman was not truthful with you. No offense but he probably got a better commission on the upgrade on the tires and overall package :-(. Anytime you go with a larger rim and you only have so much wheel well space to work with you have to reduce the size somewhere and typically that's done on the sidewall of the tire or the profile of the tire. The smaller profile on the sidewall of the tire will always cause a stiffer ride. These are more of a sporty tire for race car type driving so to speak. I think it is incumbent upon the dealership to make this right for you either switching out the tire and rims or providing another vehicle and swapping you over to the option that you like better on the 19 inch wheels. I am providing a link on this website you can manipulate the numbers so that when you get the tire sizes and rims you can see the difference in the sidewall profile and can make a determination on what to do with the tires. It is very difficult to change the tire on the 20 in rim without affecting the overall size because if you affect the overall size it will affect the ABS system and the speed information to the computers.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** 20 inch sacrificed side wall.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Play with the calculator and it will make sense.