Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 96 Tercel has been not starting intermittently past 3 or

Customer Question

My 96 Tercel has been not starting intermittently for the past 3 or 4 days. Concurrently, the gear shifter (automatic) won't budge. I found the solution for that problem, but I think the 2 issues might be related. My battery is fine.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Do you have a simple 12 V test light check a few things or a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will borrow one if you'll tell me what I need to do with it. Thanks.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Okay the first thing we need to do is determine whether not you're getting 12 V to the small wire going to the starter. On this engine the starter is under the intake manifold. There is one large battery cable that goes to the starter solenoid then there is one small wire that is considered the engagement wire when the key is turned to the start position this small wire should receive 12 V. If it is getting 12 V and the starter solenoid is not engaging the starter then the starter is bad it needs to be replaced. If there's no voltage going to the small wire then we have to backtrace from there. The first thing to check is the starter relay which is located in the fuse box under the hood. Remove the lid of the fuse box identify the starter relay. Remove the relay and swap it with another relay that is of the same configuration and see if the relay clicks on if it's not clicking on then it gets a little more complicated. Let me know you find with these things that we can go from here. I will be monitoring on and off in the course of the day today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I'll get to work on these things and will report back to you.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this item do the job?
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/circuit-tester/dorman-conduct-tite-electrical-multi-tester/532119/
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tks!
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

:-)