Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I haves 2000 Avalon when I turn the key it gets stuck in the

Customer Question

I haves 2000 Avalon when I turn the key it gets stuck in the accessory position with all the lights on I can take the key out and everything stays on I have to disconnect the battery to turn everything off but the car will not start already changed the ignition cylinder and its still doing the same thing
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that you changed the lock cylinder that came with a new key? Are you certain that you got it installed correctly? Do you have the vehicle identification number available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the ignition switch out and their was a peice of metal Broken off into the socket of the ignition switch i don't know what it's called also my vin# ***** *****
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

There is a recall on this vehicle and this is what I suspected was wrong the steering column collar that the ignition lock cylinder goes into needs to be replaced. It was never done on your vehicle and this is the result it breaks internally. You need to have the car taken to the dealership and tell them that the recall number A0H has not been performed and they will replace this collar at no cost to you. There is also a recall for the rear anchor tethers for the third anchor point for the child seats.