Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

My 2002 Corolla brake lights are not coming on, even after I

Customer Question

Hello, my 2002 Corolla brake lights are not coming on, even after I have replaced bulbs, brake switch, and checked the fuse. Any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for trusting me to help you with your vehicle today. I have over 30 years of Diagnostic experience. I look forward to working with you. Do the taillights and turn signals work? Do you have a voltmeter or simple 12 V test light with a reasonable knowledge of how to use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the response. I was out of town the last two days. Taillights and turn signals work just fine, as does the center brake light - it's just the two on the sides that don't come on. I do not have a voltmeter or test light.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Without having some type of testing equipment it is difficult to proceed to tell you what's going on. Can you at least get a simple 12 V test light from your local parts store they generally are less than $15 for a simple clamp on style test light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to do that. What would be the next steps?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Locate the four pin electrical connector going to each taillight assembly in that four pin connector you will find a green wire with a white tracer. Make sure you have a good clean ground surface for your test light preferably the door striker where the trunk latches onto something that is clean and free of paint then carefully back probe the connector and have good contact on the green wire with a white tracer on the pin. Have someone depress the brake pedal and the third brake light comes on does the test light illuminate at either one of these pins on both sides? If it does this is not electrical supply problem to the lights it has to be an issue with the contacts inside the sockets for the bulbs or in the lens assembly itself of the sub harness. Let me know what you find with this.