ToyotaTom
ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified
30956819

Is it possible to customize the front passenger seat in my

Customer Question

Is it possible to customize the front passenger seat in my 2014, Toyota Tundra, 1794 edition to adjust like the driver's seat does? The passenger seat lacks a tilt and up/down adjustment that the driver's seat has.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  ToyotaTom replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, (short answer) no. This was never an option on the Toyota to have the 8-way or 9-way adjustable seat in the passenger's side. Some Lexus models offer it, but to the best of my knowledge Toyota has never offered this. Just the basic 4-way (recline up/down, slide fore/aft).

Having said that, with the right about of work/money, ANYTHING is possible. However, it would take a considerable amount of work by someone with a considerable amount of knowledge and experience to pull it off. The right person could retrofit a driver's side seat track/motors/frame and modify it to fit in the passenger's side. I would not recommend doing this though, as there are going to be hurdles that must be overcome regarding the occupant detection system, seat mounted airbags, and possibly structural issues with modification to the seat frame itself when retrofitting it.

So the "official" answer is no. But I don't feel right just leaving it simply at that, because as stated, anything is possible given the right amount of time/effort/money. It just isn't anything that i would professionally recommend pursuing due to liability potential when you start altering the factory design of airbag/OCS/SRS systems that were designed/tested/validated through not only Toyota, but also NHTSA for that specific vehicle to prove to perform safely in the event of an accident.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bummer. It's a shame Toyota cut corners on the passenger seat. Since your answer is "no" and there is no solution, I'll request a refund. Thanks anyway.