Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2003 toyota tacoma prerunner cant remove key from a brand

Customer Question

2003 toyota tacoma prerunner cant remove key from a brand new ignition some times
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

You dont specify if the key is not turning back all the way to lock position or if it does turn all the way to the lock position but just not pull out of the lock cylinder.

If it turns all the way to lock position but just doesnt pull of out lock cylinder without some jiggling of the key, I suspect either a burr on the key or key cut is slightly off. Using some emery cloth on the key usually will clean it up for better operation

If not turning all the way, then likely a sticking tumbler in the lock cylinder. Spraying some graphite into the lock cylinder and working back and forth should resolve this

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is a new key way and if we shift several time some times it will come out and it will come out occasionally if we drive it again then turn it off

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

So it is not turning all the way back, correct?

Because shifting seems to get it to turn all the way off, this sounds like either the transmission position switch is not registering in park all the way and preventing the ignition interlock from releasing, or possibly the shifter linkage is in need of adjustment